How to Help
artSpeaks gives sickle cell families a voice.
Facts about sickle cell disease
- SCD is the most common genetic blood disorder in the U.S., affecting 70,000-100,000 Americans (Cystic Fibrosis affects about 30,000)
- SCD occurs in 1/500 African American births
- SCD occurs in 1/1000 Hispanic births in the U.S.
- Children with SCD are 200 to 400 times more likely to have a stroke
- Highest risk for stroke for a child with SCD is between ages 2 and 7
- Individuals with SCD often need regular blood transfusions